Monday, November 1, 2010

Long overdue

I know it's been a while but just so you know we're in our house and loving it! It's an old house...about 90 years actually, and it comes with all the surprises you'd expect from a little old house... random flooding in the laundry room, a funny smell in the basement (thank goodness for candles!!!) very few electrical outlets in very inconvenient locations, and doors and cupboards that don't close because they've been painted white about 36 times. But I'm learning to love and laugh at the quirks. I'm still working on pictures so those will be coming soon. We just recarpeted one of the rooms because the previous tenants apparently thought that dogs and carpet went well together (gross). Needless to say we got that carpet out pretty quick, so I'm still working on unpacking a few boxes but other than that we're pretty settled. It has a nice sized yard for Abby and the best part is...we don't hear people all around us all the time! We're so happy to be back in a house with a kitchen Morgan and I can be in at the same time.
Work is keeping me busy but I'm so happy to be back doing what I love, spending time with these wonderful kids! I get to go to Kindergarten with a sweet boy who calls me "Miss Lauren" and is very attentive of the other children, especially when someone gets hurt. Then three days a week after school, I work at the center with a nine-year-old boy who has Down's syndrome and has a smile that melts my heart. Don't get me wrong, he can be naughty, but when he's happy, it doesn't matter that just twenty minutes ago he slapped me in the face. He loves playing Shrek on the computer and bouncing a big exercise ball around. He thinks it's hilarious when I pretend to sneeze and if you want to see the cutest thing in the world, watch him sing "the puppy song". You'll want to take him home too! Like any job, it's not always easy but every once in a while those special kids say or do something that makes it all worth it.
Lesson of the day: life is tough. Sometimes things work out the way you want and sometimes you have those days where everything goes exactly opposite of the way you wanted. But I'm learning (slowly) that the way we react is what makes the big difference. Relationships aren't easy because they aren't based on one person and what they want. Sometimes two people need different things at the same time and they need to learn to be aware of the other person. But there's no feeling quite like the joy that comes with forgiving, kissing and making up. I don't know what I would do without my wonderful husband, who's more patient with me than I thought possible and who makes me feel like I really am special. I'm so grateful that my time with him isn't limited to this life only. We have forever to learn and grow and become better together.

1 comment:

  1. I was so excited to see a new post from you two! I am glad to hear things are going well..for the most part :) Gotta love those old houses. I bet the kids you work with love you too and I bet you make a bigger difference that you know. Thanks for sharing your lesson of the day. I totally agree and it is good to be reminded of those things :) I love ya

    ReplyDelete